2021 was the golden age for recruiters. LinkedIn even said it. But then 2023 hit us like a ton of bricks. VC funding disappeared, layoffs began, and hiring became more and more challenging. In light of these difficulties, we began to ponder how recruiters can still bring value to their organizations. How can they go beyond just recruitment?
To find answers to these questions, we turned to the expert, Joel Lalgee. We invited him to join our HR Power Session to share his insights and tips on how recruiters can use content strategy to not only connect with candidates but also establish credibility within their organisation by building relationships with hiring managers and stakeholders.
Joel Lalgee, the founder of Realist Recruiter, a recruitment agency specialising in various sectors, is a seasoned professional with over 400K followers across socizl media (👉 you can find Joel on LinkedIn and TikTok). Leveraging his decade-long experience and passion for social media, Joel has developed a training program that helps recruiters develop an effective social media strategy, and he has been focused on refining it in 2023.
Why Should Recruiters Embrace Content Creation?
In today's digital landscape, traditional job ads alone don't cut it anymore. By posting valuable content on social media, recruiters not only improve their credibility but also contribute to the success of their organisations.
Reaching Potential Candidates: Traditional job ads are no longer sufficient in the digital age. By leveraging social media platforms, recruiters can tap into a vast network of potential candidates.
Building Credibility: Sharing industry news and insights establishes recruiters as experts in their field. When recruiters share their perspectives on trends and provide valuable insights, they build trust with hiring managers, candidates, and colleagues.
Supporting Business Goals: Recruitment content extends beyond just hiring; it can align with the broader objectives of the company. For instance, content that highlights company culture or the employee experience can attract top talent while building the employer brand. This brand exposure can even generate new leads and drive business growth.
So why aren't more recruiters doing it?
We asked our community if they were currently creating content, and the answer was a resounding "no." When we delved deeper, we discovered that many recruiters hesitate to create content due to:
- Uncertainty about what to post
- Time constraints.
- Fear of appearing unprofessional or attracting negative attention.
Tips to Get Started With Content Creation
Creating content may seem daunting, but Joel emphasized that recruiters don't need complex strategies or fancy equipment to get started. There is already an abundance of content being posted that recruiters can leverage to start their own content journey. Over time, confidence in developing original content will grow. Here are eight tips to get started:
- Find Your Sources: Begin by identifying new sources within your industry. Stay up-to-date with industry news, trends, and insights. This will enable you to share valuable and relevant content with your audience. Look for thought leaders and content creators who are already producing great content in your space.
- Share With Insight: Don't just share content; add your perspective. Share how a piece of news impacts your industry or provide your take on a trending topic.
- Consistency is Key: Aim to share content 3-5 times per week. Consistency is crucial for building an online presence and engaging with your audience. Share company content, industry news, and thought-provoking articles. But don't stop at sharing—add your own thoughts and insights to spark conversations and showcase your expertise.
- Find an Accountability Partner: Collaborate with someone in your team to stay motivated and consistent. This partnership can also provide inspiration and help with time management when it comes to content creation.
- Build Credibility Within Your Organisation: Content creation is not limited to reaching candidates alone; it's also an opportunity to build credibility with hiring managers and stakeholders. Share content that highlights your company's achievements, events, and community involvement. Showcasing your company's brand and values will help you build trust and strengthen internal relationships.
- Collaborate With the Marketing Team: Work closely with your marketing team to align your content strategy. Understand the company's social media guidelines and branding requirements. Support the marketing team by sharing their content and adding your own unique perspective. Building a collaborative relationship with the marketing team will ensure a cohesive and impactful content strategy.
- Involve Hiring Managers: Go beyond traditional candidate outreach and involve your hiring managers in content creation. Consider incorporating videos into your job ads or outreach messages. Conduct interviews with hiring managers, highlighting their teams' uniqueness and why candidates would want to work with them. By showcasing their insights and perspectives, you'll stand out and build stronger relationships with both candidates and hiring managers.
- Utilising AI in Content Creation: AI tools like ChatGPT can be instrumental in generating content ideas and providing a framework. However, personalising the output is crucial to maintain authenticity. To preserve your own voice while using ChatGPT for LinkedIn posts, it's important to have a clear understanding of your tone and style. Working closely with the marketing or branding team can help you achieve this.
Remember, it's important to have a plan, stay consistent, and be creative in your content creation efforts. Encourage accountability within your team and support each other's content initiatives. By following these tips, you'll be well on your way to creating compelling and engaging blog posts as a recruiter.
Found these tips helpful? You can keep up to date with all our upcoming events and content in the Circular Community! If you're not a member yet, you can sign up below, it's free!